[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 86, Issue 22_Enright, Crete, India

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 00:01:22 PDT 2014

I am responding to more than one post on the Digest List below, so I have
retained them in this reply. I have tried to clean up duplicated messages on
the Digest received by me. So I hope I am not blazing a trail of unnecessary
messages seen separately by the readers. Conscious of the bulk messages I
receive in the Digest, I usually delete all but the relevant Message in my
reply. This time I've retained the messages with relevance to my response.

1.      Bruce, interesting to read your commentary on D J Enright. I recall
that Enright also said in his review that he admired Durrell's poetry.

2.      Crete is the only Greek island I have visited (June 2007) - for a
week in the company of my wife Sujata and our younger son Ambar (who was
actually bound for Paris but joined us en route in Crete where we had enough
accommodation at Hersonissos. We did a day trip to Santorini from Crete by
catamaran but that doesn't really count as a proper visit. I started The
Dark Labyrinth a long time ago, but didn't finish it. We visited Knossos in
Crete.

3.      There are archaeological sites in India - I am familiar with one in
Delhi in whose visible proximity I spent my childhood and adolescence  -
where mythology and historical remains merge in the way that they have in
Knossos. But with difficulties in the organization of tourism in India, many
archaeological sites don't get the exposure that both the sites and the
tourists could gain from. Logistics over long distances within India and at
the sites need to be dealt with. Also the Archaeological Survey of India
feels the need to maintain control of sites, partly because excavations are
not always completed, and the archaeological finds need organized
protection. It' a complex matter I suppose . . .

Sumantra

--------------------------

Today's Topics:

   1. D. J. Enright (Bruce Redwine)

   2. Call for articles (Sky Blue Press)

   3. Re: D. J. Enright (Richard Pine)

   4. Re: D. J. Enright (Bruce Redwine)

   5. The Cretan Connection (Denise Tart & David Green)

   6. Re: The Cretan Connection (Richard Pine)

   7. Re: The Cretan Connection (Bruce Redwine)

   8. Re: The Cretan Connection (William Apt)

Message: 1