[ilds] The Cretan Connection

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 11:48:23 PDT 2014

Correct.  Apparently Durrell took other people's stories and used them for his own purposes.  Nothing wrong with that, as long as one is writing fiction.  Non-fiction is another matter.  Leigh Fermor's story of his father surely resonated with Durrell's own experiences with his father, who died in India and "abandoned" him.  Moutolive's father does abandon his wife and son and goes off to India to live and work in a monastery.  This coincides nicely with Durrell oft-stated desire to find some religious haven in his mythical Tibet.  Durrell never returned to India.  Why?  I suspect because he wanted to keep the myth of India and Tibet just that — a myth.

Bruce