[ilds] The Cretan Connection

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 10:25:30 PDT 2014

I noticed few years ago the striking similarity between LD's description of Montolive's absentee father in India and Patrick Leigh Fermor's own experience: his father, too, remained in India apart from the mother. Both fathers were mysterious, exotic characters, wondered over by the abandoned sons. Unlike LD's experience, however, Montolive's father and PLF's father had no longing to return to England and, as I recall, never did return, permanently. So, while this is speculation on my part, it may be yet another example of LG borrowing from the life story of another.

WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law
812 San Antonio St, Ste 401
Austin TX 78701