[ilds] The Cretan Connection

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 08:30:34 PDT 2014

David,

Durrell is a great storyteller, one of his tremendous gifts.  But, as you point out, his source material often seems to have been other people's stories — not his own travels and experiences.  This is quite evident in The Greek Islands (1978).  The section on Crete appears to have been largely invented or borrowed.  His diversions, however, are all his own — note the criticism of "monotheism and monosexuality" on p. 64 of Islands.

Bruce