[ilds] The Cretan Connection

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 27 18:38:15 PDT 2014

Reading Artemis Coopers story of PLF's time on Crete during the war, one can see where LGD got much his stuff for Dark Labyrinth: the British officer traumatized by having to kill a captive German soldier, the mountainous uplands, the caves that beasts fell into and left their bones. He must have read Paddy's accounts and of course saw him at times during time in Egypt. Dark Labyrinth came out before any of Paddy's books (1947) so I guess, for an emerging author and press officer with contacts, including Paddy, the stories of the day were up for grabs, but the way Larry works other people's stuff into his own material is uncanny. When I read of PLFs adventures on Crete, including the famous capture of the German General, I felt as if I had read it before...I had in way.
Dark Labyrinth is an underrated work. Durrell's chapter on Crete in the Greek Islands is also well worth a read. No English writer writes about Greece as he does, but I am very keen to read some Leigh Fermor now.

David

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW 2204
+61 2 9564 6165