[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 86, Issue 20

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 22:05:57 PDT 2014

Thanks for the information Peter.

D J Enright who wrote a review of Durrell's AQ with the somewhat derisive
title reading 'Alexandrian Nights Entertainments', himself wrote a novel
located in Alexandria: Academic Year (?). I haven't read that book. More
references are made to Liddell's novel in the discourse on Durrell and
Alexandria.

But neither of these two novels made the literary impact that Durrell's AQ
did. And Durrell's subsequent novels, though read and referred to, have
also not made the same impact as the novels of the AQ did. But the novels
following Justine built a larger fictional structure rather than
disappoint, although some reviewers who were enthusiastic about Justine,
found the subsequent novels of the AQ a bit overworked. Surely, though, for
readers, the Quartet  does form - what an early reviewer of the AQ
described as - a work big enough to create a world of its own.

Sumantra

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: ILDS Digest, Vol 86, Issue 18_is "Unreal City" by Robert
>       (PETER BALDWIN)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:02:31 +0100
> From: PETER BALDWIN <delospeter at hotmail.com>
> To: "odos.fanourios at gmail.com" <odos.fanourios at gmail.com>,
>         "ilds at lists.uvic.ca" <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>
> Subject: Re: [ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 86, Issue 18_is "Unreal City" by
>         Robert Liddell
>
> Listed on Amazon publisher Peter Owen. I tried the book done years ago
and didn't finish it so perhaps for the completist.

> Peter
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 25 Jun 2014, at 19:44, "James Gifford" <james.d.gifford at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > To the best of my knowledge, it's out of print, but I don't think
copies would be very difficult to find.