[ilds] LD in review of Fermor's final book

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 08:44:10 PDT 2014

Thanks.  Interesting.  What Durrell says of his friend Leigh Fermor could also be said of Durrell himself — both have ornate, baroque prose.  Mani is a fascinating book, full of strange people and adventures, coupled with Leigh Fermor's flights of fancy and tremendous erudition.  I can't imagine Durrell undertaking an exploration of the Mani and enduring all the hardship.  As Bill Godshalk once observed, Durrell is really an armchair adventurer.  Durrell's Greek Islands is similar in some respects but doesn't seen as authentic.  His travel books are more invented, although Leigh Fermor can't match Durrell's poetry.

Bruce