[ilds] Interesting adventures of Paddy Fermor and Larry Durrell

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:13:29 PDT 2014

The public school behaviour is pretty explicitly named in /Pied Piper of
Lovers/: "sodomy" (171).  He's also quite explicit in not disparaging it
(120, 219, 220) while at the same time saying it wasn't to his
autobiographical protagonist's particular taste (120).  In essence, this
is why I disagree over the issue of Durrell's being "repressed" about
homosexuality -- I see him as being pretty comfortable with the range of
sexualities any individual aligns with at one time or another (though a
case study of repression appears in a very cheeky form in /The Black Book/).

Does the "frolicking around" make us rethink Darley gazing on Keats's
"newly god-like body" while he showers?  I'd be inclined to see Darley
not as a repressing his homosexuality but rather as being quite
comfortable with the homoerotic elements of his heterosexual identity.

In essence, that's why "bisexual love" is so important to the Quartet in
my reading -- it's everywhere in the book, including the stylistic level.

All best,
James