[ilds] Fair enough Lee

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 08:40:25 PDT 2014

Excellent. I appreciate you hearing me out on this. Again, this is just my
opinion as a long-time Durrell fan and fan of the listserv. (As you know,
this listserv really just ‘came back to life’ a few weeks ago after being
moribund for some time – but when I first became aware of it and signed-up
6 years ago it was very important to me and something of a lifesaver,
because I was under a lot of stress at a job I didn’t like and it gave me
an outlet to talk with and listen to a lot of very bright people who shared
my love of Durrell.)

OK – enough about me. I will quickly state my theory in a few bullet points
and log-off:

• We love Durrell and his writings, but acknowledge his darker side: that
he could be an ugly drunk and a wife beater
• Some of us wonder at the psychology behind that, and have over time
developed theories
• One of these theories, which I do not necessarily endorse, is this
‘Repressed Durrell’ theory which has been so controversial recently
• I think it has been so very controversial because people didn’t
understand where it was coming from, or why it was proposed. In other
words, there was insufficient set-up for it.
• I was an English major in college, not a psychology major – and I tilt
more to Jung than Freud
• Nevertheless, I think this ‘Repressed Durrell’ theory would be much more
palatable if it were couched in Freudian terms. After all, Durrell must
have been very interested in the subject since Freud is an offstage
character in the Avignon Quintet

OK – that’s all I’ve got for now. Have a great weekend.

- Ken