[ilds] Durrell's Readings and Scholarship

Richard Pine rpinecorfu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 02:19:11 PDT 2014

LD wrote 2 articles on Shakespeare, typically, unorthodox, paying respect to the established critics but not necessarily agreeing with them. (As with his essay 'Minor Mythologies' he would acknowledge critics, but then politely dissociate himself from their professional stance. The fact that he was himself a fine critic (cf. Key to Modern Poetry) is largely overlooked.)
He was indeed working on a book on 'The Writer in the Elizabethan Age' and had a very extensive library of C16 texts, but it came to nothing. From his letters you'll see that he often asked Alan Thomas (who looked after his affairs in England) to 'send me my beloved Elizas' if he moved. Many f them were lost on life's journey, many of them quite probably here in Corfu, when he and Nancy left so much behind in their exodus in 1939
RP