[ilds] Modern Bisexual Love and Beyond

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:43:53 PDT 2014

Ken, you offer riches here...

There was a period when the gender was changed in printings of Shax's
sonnets, so it's been pretty obvious for a long time, though open to a
great many interpretive revisions and re-directions.  There are good
rationales for the disagreements too, but Shax isn't our real focus, I
suppose, and I'm not even an approximation of a serious Shakespeare scholar.

> Do you think Durrell was unaware of
> this, or in disagreement with this?

Durrell was explicitly aware of this, wrote about it, spoke about it,
and agreed with it.  He saw Shakespeare as bisexual, explicitly, and
leans on Oscar Wilde's "Portrait of Mr. W.H." to do so.  Interestingly,
Wilde's work involves a forgery very much akin to Piers' forged article
in /Monsieur/ (and Durrell's Wilde allusions are, well, wild...).

I'll have much more to say about that in December.

> Maybe if Fox News had a show about
> English Literature

Ken, *I want to watch that show*...  It would be like 24 hours of Evelyn
Waugh on every week.  Although Waugh's tendencies are also well
documented, and he ain't nearly so chipper as Cooper, he'd talk circles
o'round O'Reilly.

I first read Durrell (/Quintet/) and /Brideshead Revisited/ in the same
week -- or maybe I'm making that up.  In any case, they're wrapped
together in my mind for some reason, particularly since I read them in
the same place at the same set of tables, and they did overlap.  I've
since had an impossible dream of Durrell's version of Waugh's Oxford
that will never be written.  But how grand would it be!  Book 2: retell
/BHR/ from Sebastian's perspective to fix C. Ryder's muddles; Book 3:
retell it in a 3rd person narrative about Lord Marchmain; Book 4: Ryder
realizes he's been a dip, Aloysius becomes a true artist, and we close
with an allusion to "The Olympic Girl."

Maybe...

All best,