[ilds] Modern Bisexual Love and Beyond

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:14:48 PDT 2014

Just reading Douglas Bush’s introduction to the sonnets in my Complete
Pelican Shakespeare (reprinted in 1975, back when I started college)…it
appears that readers have known for more than 400 years that there have
been ‘problems’ about the ‘dedication’ and the ‘story,’ etc. In other
words, about the sexuality of the sonnets! James pointed out a key
instance, which I just read for myself: if you read sonnet 20
(“master-mistress of my passion”) and then read the famous sonnet 18
(“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?”) – the immediate effect is to
say whoa! This famous sonnet is not necessarily dedicated to a woman! Do
you think Durrell was unaware of this, or in disagreement with this?

Is it gossip? Gender politics? Maybe if Fox News had a show about English
Literature – but no! Of course not! This is important, and crucial to the
understanding what we are reading. Is WS writing about an ‘aardvark’? I
don’t think so…

- Ken