[ilds] Modern Bisexual Love and Beyond

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 21:10:52 PDT 2014

If you ignore the "master-mistress" implications of "Sonnet 20" or bisexual references in other sonnets, then you can perhaps say most of Shakespeare's sonnets are about Love, in which case I guess it doesn't make any difference who's being addressed.  Love is love, right? no matter who the object.  But that's not the case.  The ambiguity or doubleness of "master-mistress" is crucial to the meaning of the poem and causes the complicated play as it unfolds on "acquainted" (cunt), "thing" (prick), and "pricked" (same).  Otherwise, you might just as well read the first quatrain and forget the rest.  My point — the sex of the addressee makes a big difference — that's the point (same).  And Durrell picked up on this.  By the way, James, what is your source for saying Durrell gave a bisexual reading to the Sonnets?

Bruce