[ilds] Modern Bisexual Love and Beyond

Lee Sternthal lasternthal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:22:32 PDT 2014

How would it change how you read the sonnets exactly?  I don't think it would change anything important, actually, except for our understanding of who he was writing them for (which I believe to be totally unimportant.)   Everything important in reading the sonnets has nothing whatsoever to do with your knowledge of who and what he was writing them for.  If it does...well...I guess we read for different reasons.

The sonnets stand on their own, clearly, all that matters is that he was inspired to write them.  Call me naive, but the rest is gossip, which is fine, but own it as such.  I know, they'll be all these people disagreeing.  Save your time.  I'll never agree that it matters anymore than whether hamlet's greatness resides in being inspired by the loss of his son hamnet or not.  The play speaks to us across time and memory because none of those details mattered once they became an expression of dramatic art.  We do not empathetically feel the total bankruptcy and corruption that hamlet feels because we know any more or less "facts" about the author who created him.  One might feel more analytically comfortable with a work, but that's all.