[ilds] Modern Bisexual Love and Beyond

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 11:49:07 PDT 2014

James,

I'd definitely like to see that "more on that."  Stephen Greenblatt in his biography, Will in the World (2004), is too guarded to draw any firm conclusions about Shakespeare's sexuality or bisexuality.  He calls the Earl of Southampton Shakespeare's "possible lover" (p. 308), who was nine and half years younger than WS.  All this is based on inference and textual analysis — no hard "proof."  But Greenblatt does make this general comment about Renaissance England:  "Elizabethans acknowledged the existence of same-sex desire; indeed, it was in a certain sense easier for them to justify than heterosexual desire" (p. 253).  Since Durrell saturated himself in Elizabethan literature, he surely picked up on this attitude, especially as it appealed to his revolt against the England of his time.  That's another reason for lamenting the great loss of Durrell's proposed study of the "Elizas."

Bruce