[ilds] Durrell's Readings and Scholarship

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 08:48:21 PDT 2014

Yes.  And it's also my sense that not only was Durrell's reading vast (esp. on primary sources), but he also seems to have digested and remembered everything.  Which is quite remarkable given his busy life.  I read somewhere that Harold Bloom is a speed reader (War and Peace goes down in a couple of hours) with a photographic memory.  Durrell seems to have been like that.  MacNiven says that his work on the Elizabethans was worthy of a Ph.D.  I wonder if that essay is in the form of notes or an actual MS.  That would be worth studying.  Durrell's memory may bear looking into.  If he remembered everything he read, then that may account for some of the plagiarism, that is, he integrated other writings into his work without realizing the source.  There's such a thing as information overload.

Bruce