[ilds] Durrell and Sex

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 09:16:16 PDT 2014

David, well said and well argued.  Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I find it difficult, however, to believe that Durrell was as scheming and savvy as you make him out to be.  But it may well be that the guy, who from an early age was determined to be a "great writer," plotted and planned his career in the way you describe.  I tend to think writers write from other compulsions besides the pursuit of fame and riches.  But that's entirely debatable.  In Mindscape (2005: 53), Pine emphasizes that Durrell mapped out his career in advance:  Agon (Black Book), Pathos ("Book of the Dead" > Quartet), and Anagnorisis (Quintet).  The Quartet had its genesis in his proposed "Book of the Dead."  This mapping process was obviously subject to revision, as Haag has shown in his recent article in DL explaining how Justine turned into a tetraology.  All this, however, is a good argument for a particular framework or architecture.  It is not an explanation of how the frame got its flesh, i.e., the nature of the substance that made the creature alive and breathing, so to speak.  It's the flesh that interests me — Durrell's compulsions.  Bisexuality, suicide, death, violence, incest — these themes or issues (and others) are repeated constantly.  They're obsessive.  Much as we talked about the architecture of the naos, Durrell's journey is from light to darkness and whatever the latter meant to him.  He may have wanted to get out of the labyrinth, but he ended up going back into the cave.

Bruce