[ilds] Modern Love

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:54:42 PDT 2014

That’s a good point James. Nor do I think F&F was solely concerned about
suppressing sales. Their editors may have been sensitive to the fact that
Durrell might be limiting himself, referring to bisexuality within what
promised to be the four dimensional scheme of the Quartet. In the end he
created characters who were heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, people
‘wounded in their sex’…cross-dressers like Scobie (a beloved character who
seems to me nothing like the author!) Not to mention brother-sister incest
- in the Quartet, but also in the Revolt and the Quintet too. (Twice in the
Quintet, right?)

Once you go the Spacetime route the genie is out of the bottle. No holds
barred, the sky’s the limit!

Cheers - Ken