[ilds] Fw: ILDS Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3_Rereading The Alexandria Quartet

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 03:13:17 PDT 2012

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:06:21 -0400
> From: Charles Sligh <charles-sligh at utc.edu>
> (Jan Morris)
  Rereading: The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/24/alexandria-quartet-lawrence-durrell-rereading>
-----------------------------------
Dear Charles,

Thank you  for sending the link. I seem to have overlooked this specific
post when you first sent it.

I participated in The Guardian Reading and now remember reading the piece by
Jan Morris. Personally, I thought Jan Morris had recognized the strongly
evocative qualities of Durrell's writing. She also noted the particularly
central position of the city in the novels of the AQ. She appeared to
conclude with the view that the flaws now perceived in Durrell's writing,
would not diminish the captivating effect of novels. I think the relative
neglect of Lawrence Durrell and particularly The Alexandria Quartet apparent
among today's readers and critics is related to changing tastes and the
effects of these changing tastes are probably reflected in what Jan Morris
has written.

There is also a problem of generation, perhaps. My tastes still resonate to
Durrell's writing and I still respond to the quality and style of prose when
I read a novel. The result is that these days I often give up on novels if
the prose doesn't in some way hold my attention. Form over content? Perhaps,
in my case at least. But in the world of fiction today, I just have an idea
that content is perhaps more important than form. A sweeping and reckless
comment perhaps!

But even way back in 1967 as a university student in England, I remember
hearing both supportive and dismissive views about The Alexandria Quartet
expressed at the same time in my presence, while in the informal company of
very eminent students of English literature who happened to be holding
opposing views!

Best wishes

Sumantra