[ilds] Rereading: The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell (Jan Morris)

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:34:07 PDT 2012

> I took a rather strong position on this curious
> introduction at the British Library this summer.
> I do think that the piece is a bit more revealing
> about Jan Morris' special capabilities and limits
> than about Lawrence Durrell's. (Simon Ings was
> more direct.  He called the intro "a pompous,
> contemptuous flob

<http://simoningsmirror.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/keep-friday-free-were-plotting-the-return-of-lawrence-durrell/>.")

I remember that moment, and as I recall, someone lured him...  Ings was
an inspiration in his talk.  Still, it was grand to have Jan at the
conference as well, though not at the BL talks.

Simon Ings' comments were a real provocation to new thinking and new
ideas, as were all the speakers.  A fresh breeze (or a stiff wind) to
clear the air.

It's good to see thoughts returning ever to London.

--
James Gifford, Ph.D.
E-mail: gifford at fdu.edu
http://alpha.fdu.edu/~jgifford