[ilds] Durrell 2012 - The Durrell Centenary

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:01:51 PDT 2012

Dear Durrellians,

In my formal capacity as the ILDS President, I want to take a moment to
thank everyone who has made the London conference, Durrell 2012, a great
success.  On Miracle Ground XVII combined intellectual engagement with
warm friendships, and that is due to the fine calibre of people who came
to present, listen, and participate.  Great thanks to you all!

Charles Sligh deserves special acknowledgement and thanks for his
tremendous kindness and organizational acumen.  He has been the driving
force for the conference, and the ILDS owes him much gratitude.  Many
others, ranging from Ilyas Kahn to Rachel Foss at the BL, were crucial
to the success of the event.  We should also acknowledge the
institutional support from the British Library, Goodenough College, the
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Fairleigh Dickinson University,
and many others.

It has been a privilege to serve as the ILDS president leading up to
these centennial events.  I hope, too, that those who have continued the
festivities on Corfu in the Durrell School are enjoying as collegial and
engaging an event as we had in London.

Very best to you all,
---------------------------------------
James Gifford, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English and University Core Director
School of English, Philosophy and Humanities
University College: Arts, Sciences, Professional Studies
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
Voice: 604-648-4476
Fax: 604-648-4489
E-mail: gifford at fdu.edu
http://alpha.fdu.edu/~jgifford