[ilds] 1912 - 1990 :: Durrell & White & Glanville-Hicks

Charles Sligh charles-sligh at utc.edu
Sun May 27 07:55:30 PDT 2012

Bless you, David.  We will miss you during the Durrell Centenary.

That is an interesting observation about Patrick White's life years and
his Centenary.  In connection, I will also recall another 1912 - 1990
life -- that of the great Australian composer, Hellenophile, and friend
of Lawrence Durrell, Peggy Glanville-Hicks.

Our friend Jen Condon is busy doing live-rehearsals for the
Durrell/Glanville-Hicks work, /Sappho: Opera in Three Acts/
<http://www.sappho.com.au/index.php>.  I hope that everyone will follow
Jen's work and order a copy of the /Sappho/ CD when it is released later
this Centenary year.

We have much for which to be thankful -- especially for our friends,
here and there, past and present.

Charles

Assistant Professor
Department of English