[ilds] palimpsest

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:08:44 PST 2011

Dear Tiberio,

I hope some of these (below) are a help, and I'm glad to hear the
vampires have cavities -- perhaps you'll be fortunate enough to find
they wear dentures these days...

I suspect that Carol Peirce's work would be of the most interest.
You'll also find that the palimpsest is discussed passim in most major
studies of Durrell's works, though that's not particularly helpful to
point to.  The notion of the palimpsest has been discussed on the
listerv before in relation to the composition of the Quartet itself as
well as in relation to the return and rewriting that occurs in the
narrative of the novel.

Is there a particular approach you have in mind or that you're
considering?  I think you'll find there's a good deal of interest in the
topic.

Best,
James

ps: do you have access to an academic library or database account from
where you are?

---------
Boccia, Michael. "The Novel as Palimpsest: The Alexandria Quartet by
Lawrence Durrell." /Form as Content and Rhetoric in the Modern Novel/.
New York: Peter Lang, 1989. 149-169.

Gifford, James. "The Corfiot Landscape and Lawrence Durrell’s
Pilgrimage: The Colonial Palimpsest in ‘Oil for the Saint; Return to
Corfu'." /In-between: Essays and Studies in Literary Criticism/ 11.2
(2002): 181-196.

Peirce, Carol. "'Wrinkled Deep in Time': The Alexandria Quartet as
Many-Layered Palimpsest." /Twentieth Century Literature: A Scholarly and
Critical Journal/ 33.4 (1987): 485-498.

Zahlan, Anne Ricketson. "City as Carnival, Narrative as Palimpsest:
Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet." /Journal of Narrative
Technique/ 18.1 (1988): 34-46.
---------