[ilds] The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:20:01 PDT 2011

I think back to LD's lifting of a Groddeck case file about the relation
between excitation of the nasal nerves with cocaine proving that the
nose and the penis are connected, which is the real reason everyone's so
afraid of syphilis...  ($%#?)  Deeply bogus, but it became Semira's
nose.  While I doubt Durrell would have believed it, I'm certain he
found it useful.

I think of Umberto Eco's /Foucault's Pendulum/ appearing in the
aftermath of /Holy Blood, Holy Grail/.  Fun speculative history might
not be true, but it's certainly fodder for fiction!  Then again, why are
we sometimes disappointed to discover fiction is based on a fake?

Allan Moore practices magic, which he says he knows is a fake, but he
does it anyway and writes about it...

Best,
James