[ilds] The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 09:45:47 PDT 2011

Regarding Jung and Freud, watch too the timeline...  Durrell did have a
brief correspondence with Jung, but I think for the period you're
looking at other psychoanalytic sources would be more useful: Freud,
Graham Howe, Otto Rank, etc.  I suspect you're prior to his interests in
Jung and Groddeck, the latter of whom first appeared during the Balkan
period.  I don't know when Jung first entered LD's radar, but
establishing a "no later than" date would be fairly easy.  Howe was a
short-lived interest as well.

In making some of these queries about books, we should be mindful of
when he might have been looking at them almost as much as what he was
looking at.  He had an early interest in Theosophy or at least in
Theosophists, but that doesn't last.

Cheers,
James