[ilds] Oxford

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:56:28 PDT 2011

He lists Oxford as his residence while finishing /Bitter Lemons/, and
he'd published in some of the undergraduate poetry journals there --
correspondents from that ended up in Egypt during the war and interacted
with him, quite a number actually.  A few returned to residences in or
around Oxford, so he would have known friends there.  There's also
Vivien Ridler, who worked for OUP, whom LD knew through Anne Ridler, but
I don't know at what time they took up full-time residence there or if
they kept up dual residences.  Oxford landscapes appear in Anne Ridler's
poetry of the 40s.

The Bodleian has a nice collection of Durrell's letters, which Ian notes
in the bio (prior to their arriving at Oxford and that he does not
appear to have seen in full).  They cover the post-Cyprus time period,
so I'll check if they have a return address in Oxford listed for him.

Cheers,

ps: I hope you had a productive time!