[ilds] The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 10:15:21 PDT 2011

Merrianne,

Good to know I'm not alone in the curious pursuit of LGD's Egyptological interests.  I once said he had very little, if any, interest in ancient Egypt.  I'm beginning to think otherwise, although I don't think the evidence is obvious.  Yes, Budge's translation of the Book of the Dead is, as one scholar put it, "antiquated."  That translation, however, is the one Durrell read and was the source of his inspiration.  So, I want to try and recover what that experience meant to him.  Freud's small collection of Egyptian antiquities (esp. those seen in the photos of his office in Vienna) are entirely relevant to the culture of the times (I'm thinking of the Egyptian Revival) — and such photos may have indeed been the source of Durrell's interest.  Thanks — that hadn't occurred to me.  Re Egyptology in psychoanalysis, I think Durrell was closer to Jung than Freud — the "collective unconscious," among other things.  Thanks again for the response, and I'd like to see what you're working on, whenever appropriate.

Bruce