[ilds] The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead

timlot at comcast.net timlot at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 07:43:49 PDT 2011

Bruce,

I have also been working on this topic - but from an Egyptological perspective. You probably k now that Budge's translation of the Book of the Dead (popularized and p erpetrated by Dover Books) is problematical .

As introductory material in your study, it would be helpful to define the Book of the Dead - a collection of spells (or vignettes) versus a "book" as we know it. You might also find the catalogue of the recent British Museum exhibition helpful - Journey through the Afterlife: Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead, by John H. Taylor (available through amazon.com).

Also, are you familiar with Freud's interest in collecting antiquities, including Egyptian objects?

Merrianne