[ilds] The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:58:28 PDT 2011

I can't give any remarkable details, but in /Panic Spring/, Durrell does
have a chapter entitled "The Mummy," which details mummification and
embalming.  The inspiration seems clear...  He details a number of
things that would have originated in Budge, or kindred sources, such as
evisceration "per anum," injection of cedar oil the same way, and so
forth.  The general description seems to match the sequence in
Herodotus, but it could be anything really.

He was revising the proofs in 1936 and had been working on it in 1935.
Given the nature of /Panic Spring/, I think it's entirely reasonable to
postulate from the timeline we do have that composition may have already
been begun in England, or perhaps the sketching of portions.  When the
Mummy materials entered the draft, who knows, but Stephanides does
mention Durrell telling a story akin to the chapter while on Corfu
(/Autumn Gleanings/ 43-4).  Completion of it in late 1935 or early 1936
could be narrowed by going through Faber's archives, if they'd let
someone in...

Sorry I can't help beyond that.  Charles would likely have more specifics.

Best,
James