[ilds] "Facts"

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 24 08:46:52 PDT 2011

I think that the Alfred Hitchcock sitting next to Cary Grant in that bus in To Catch a Thief is the real Alfred Hitchcock "putting himself in his work."  Who else would he be?
Another example:  Velásquez in Las Meninas, which is very complicated and controversial.  It's the subject of John Searle's article, "Las Manias and the Paradoxes of Pictorial Representation," Critical Inquiry 6, no. 3 (1980).  Foucault also discusses it in the beginning to Les Mots et les choses.  I'm not saying Searle and Foucault support what I'm saying, rather that they deal with the topic.

Bruce