[ilds] DURRELL, MILLER, ANARCHISM AND HERALDIC UNIVERSES

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 00:33:59 PDT 2011

Can you both be right?  "Facts" may be indisputable but equally useless
-- interpretations are shaky yet essential.  Of course, for "facts"
we're mainly dealing with words on paper, whether it's a legal document
or a book, and both have been known to lie or at least be subject to
revision a good deal of the time, and that's before we even consider our
various interpretive practices.

Isn't there a series of novels that uses this problem as a central theme?

The Durrellian "facts" have changed a good deal over time, and I've been
resiting the urge all day to quote 1933's "Bromo Bombastes":

"It's facts that attract us
    Facts that attract us
        Facts, facts, facts.
Let’s have no subterfuge,
Let’s have a deluge,
A cataract of facts."

Surely LD took facts seriously enough to give them a chorus with such
gravitas, one followed by the East Wind swishing across the stage,
disguised in a beard...  Do you interpret this statement with irony?  Is
irony a "fact" or an interpretation?

Some on the list may recall with pleasure the performance of this short
play in 2000 on Corfu with Jim Nichols offering his glorious "Gawd!" in
a lead role as the Reporter.

Cheers,
James