[ilds] Could Durrell really swim "...as fast as a dolphin..."

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 30 15:28:39 PDT 2011

well, David says this: Durrell's books, especially the island ones, show
that he enjoyed swimming, bracing dips in the April Rhodian waters, possibly
to clear the head of the previous day's wine - I have found similar
therapeutic benefits from shooting a few muscular waves off Coogee Beach (2
down from Bondi) on a Sunday morning - and that he claims to have chosen the
Vampire House because the Vidourle River was good to swim in, but whether or
not he was a good swimmer is another matter; could he do 20 laps of a 50
metre pool in half an hour as I used to be able to do?

This I do not know.....'as fast as a dolphin'....hyperbole for sure and no
relation to an oxymoron or ocarina - the later being a ancient flute like
instrument who windy sounds probably flowed over the Grecian landscape in
the days of shepherds and men in dresses and sandals

David Whitewine