[ilds] heraldic universe

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:37:26 PDT 2011

Hi Bruce,

 > If you go back to the letter of August 1936, it
 > seems clear to me that what Durrell is describing
 > is, in Heidegger's sense, a "state of being."  So,
 > he's quite right to say that "it is not a 'state
 > of mind,'"

Agreed!  Through I should have noted that Durrell also refers to the
Heraldic Universe earlier in his 1938 "Hamlet, Prince of China" (itself
a 1937 letter, again to Miller).

In those instances, I don't know that I'd call it a heideggerian "state
of being," though I must own up that I'm simply not well versed in
Heidegger.  I read some in tandem with Sartre and Patocka in 1999/2000,
and I haven't gone back much since...

Durrell has a novel repetition from the 1937 letter appearing in the
1942 essay in /Personal Landscape/, and it caught my attention strongly
when I first noticed it: "the self, which you [Miller] used as a defence
against the novel terrors of this heraldic universe (as one might use
smoked glass to look at the sun)" (1937 letter, printed in 1938) later
becomes "'Art' then is only the smoked glass through which we can look
at the dangerous sun" (1942 essay).

That shuffle between "self" and "art" is fine, especially since he
describes the Heraldic Universe as the individual's "inner heraldic
territory" or personal property.  It seems very much to be something
pre-social to Durrell and solipsistic though not the same a selfhood
either.  IMO, that don't jive with Heidegger's "being," but I could very
well be mistaken (I think it'd have to go back to Heidegger's response
to Sartre's essay on Humanism, which I think is in the /Basic Writings/
book...  Dimly back a dozen years here).

It's intriguing that Durrell's Heraldic realm isn't utopic, and art or
even selfhood stand as some kind of defensive tactic. Although at the
same time, it's something he's "creat[ing]... quite alone" and for which
he needs to lay a foundation (in that 1936 letter).  That suggests to me
that some kind of pre- and post-social Being (which allows for an
individual with reason and will not entirely determined by material
conditions) is involved in the equation, but that the Heraldic isn't the
autonomous Being-to-death and isn't identical with the self or art, even
though it may be contiguous.

Of course, Durrell could have changed his mind.  I'm just intrigued by
the contiguity between Durrell's discussion of Miller's anarchism and
Read's (ostensible) communism in his first articulation of the Heraldic
Universe.  That strikes me as a part of the literary history of the
period more broadly.  Paired up with that, I'm (in a purely Durrellian
orientation) terribly interested in the distinction Durrell sets up
between the poet, the poem, the reader, and the inner world, as if they
are all in contact yet are radically separate at times.  It would imply
that art, once made, exists independent of us and beyond our
determination even if it emerges from the artist (much like an
individual may emerge from society yet is not determined or defined by
the social, if one buys that idea).

James Clawson has a recent piece (I don't have a copy handy) that might
be useful for this:

Clawson, James M. "Between Physics and Metaphysics: Spenglerian
Bergsonism in Durrell's /Revolt of Aphrodite/." /Mosaic: A Journal for
the Interdisciplinary Study of Literature/ 43.4 (2010): 123-139.

I'll grab that today for read, if I can locate a copy, and report back
to the list.

Best,
James