[ilds] heraldic universe and other animals

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:45:37 PDT 2011

On 28/06/11 8:19 AM, allysonk at mweb.co.za wrote:
 > So did paul eluard who was a surrealist.

Miller uses Eluard as his first example in "An Open Letter to
Surrealists Everywhere."  As for Sartre, could one say he was until he
wasn't?  Sartre (in my limited reading) promoted existentialism as a
humanist philosophy, which I think led to a debate with Heidegger and
most certainly with Althusser.  Though he certainly supported the
Communist Party, he also rejected authority and power as well as the
anti-humanist branches of Marxism and Communism.

My recollection is that Sartre and Heidegger clashed over the notion of
reason and selfhood in the Enlightenment sense of being self-conscious
creatures with the capacity for reason and free will.  An Althusser
might argue that social being determines the self or subject (via Marx
though some would disagree).  Hence, for the anti-humanists, reason and
choice are determined by the material conditions (or in some folks'
sense, Base determines Superstructure).  Sartre (IMO) didn't like that
component of Marxism or Communism and still sought a self-determining
subject with some pre-social ontology and who could be convinced by
reason rather than compelled by power or authority, and I don't think
such a subject is so very far off from Durrell's "solopsistic"
tendencies, though Durrell was clearly anti-Marxist while Sartre was not.

Unless I'm mistaken, for some of these reasons, Sartre later used the
term anarchist, though he'd used it to self-describe at several points
during his career.

Many of the Surrealists self-identified as Communists, and those
politics were part of Breton's lead.

Cheers,