[ilds] heraldic universe

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 08:25:28 PDT 2011

James,

Thanks for the reference.  If you go back to the letter of August 1936, it seems clear to me that what Durrell is describing is, in Heidegger's sense, a "state of being."  So, he's quite right to say that "it is not a 'state of mind,'" i.e., something that is rational, cognitive, and subject to logical analysis.  In this context, the mentioning of Lao Tse is entirely appropriate.  Durrell's tendencies are mystical, probably never fully realized, and I would cite his "Heraldic Universe" as evidence of such.

Bruce