[ilds] heraldic universe

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 07:49:09 PDT 2011

On 27/06/11 7:42 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> I first came across Durrell's idea in the D-M
> letters, the one previously mentioned, August or Fall of 1936.  Did
> he ever publish this theory/philosophy?

I'll leave Mott to Bill, but for Durrell publishing on the Heraldic
Universe, the answer is "kinda"...

He published "The Heraldic Universe" in /Personal Landscape/ (1942),
where he states "It is not a 'state of mind.'"  There were other bits
and pieces in his prose, but it was certainly not systematized.  Then
again, the opening of /Personal Landscape/ and its "Ideas on Poetry"
series stated quite emphatically that it would not systematize and that
ideas are subject to change in discussion.  I think that's actually
rather the point.

He comes back to it across his letters as well.  Now off to the train!

Best,