[ilds] sad news...

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 10 16:37:20 PDT 2011

Fermor was an extraordinary man.  Among many other accomplishments, he knew his Horace and carried on his travels a copy of the Odes and Epodes.  There's a story somewhere, I forget where, about the capture on Crete of the German general Kriepe.  Fermor's commando unit was making it way across the island, and the group stopped before a mountain.  Kriepe looked at the snow-capped peak and began to recite from memory Ode 1.9:  "Vides ut alta stet nive candidum / Socrate" (You see how deep [Mount] Socrate stands in white snow).  The general stopped, maybe half way through, and then Fermor finished the remaining twelve lines.  In Latin, of course.

Bruce