[ilds] An Exchange on Durrell's Dark Labyrinth

Marc Piel marc at marcpiel.fr
Wed May 25 02:21:57 PDT 2011

Yes, it jumps around and backwards and forwards.
But this does not detract from the quality.

I was surprised (on page 23 of my Faber paperback
1964 version) to find the "Purser" "spitting into
the oily waters of Alexandria Harbour",when I
thought he was on board in Crete. On the next page
(24) we are taken back to Toulon, before leaving
for Crete.... And the last paragraph of the
chapter is some days after the event of the
Labyrinth. This was why as I have said before,
when I finished DL, I was compelled to go back and
re-read the first chapter "The Argument" I also
see bits of LD and his unhappy situation, in
almost all characters.
It is almost as if he was using the writing to rid
himself (expurgate) of the situation.
B.R.
Marc