[ilds] Modern Fiction, Durrell and the Dark Labyrinth

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 24 10:37:46 PDT 2011

David,

This is a nice summary of important aspects of the the modern novel.  Others will have their own insights to add.  I was quite happy with my old reading of Durrell's Dark Labyrinth until Charles Sligh politely pointed out that I'd misread the conclusion all along.  I guess Charles is a party of Harold Bloom's "maps of misreading" school (and so am I).  Anyway, my problem with DL is in determining if Durrell really intended what Charles noted.  Is the ending "At Cefalû" really meant to be an "anti-climax?"  I suppose you can make the argument that the "labyrinth" metaphor underlying the novel allows for all kinds of authorial high jinks (confusion, ambiguity, false endings, mock resolutions, etc.), but I find all that dissatisfying, especially since I can't see what it accomplishes besides pointlessness.  Also, I don't consider Durrell a nihilist:  he has a message, and that message undermines the ending as it now stands.  Or so I see it.

Bruce