[ilds] An Exchange on Durrell's Dark Labyrinth

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 18:50:30 PDT 2011

Yes, Othello has a very interesting time-scheme — the "two-clock" theory.  For, as many have pointed out, Desdemona, since arriving on Cyprus, did not have the time enabling her to commit adultery.  Moreover, that time-scheme relies on exaggeration — deceptive references to the long passage of time — which is intended to lull the audience into thinking a lot of time has passed, when in fact it hasn't, thus giving credibility to Othello's fears.  What we have in The Dark Labyrinth, as Charles discovered, is not so much a trick time-scheme as a jarring use of time or a lapse in narrative technique.  Or so I think re the latter possibility, Charles may not want to go that far.

Bruce