[ilds] An Exchange on Durrell's Dark Labyrinth

Godshalk, William (godshawl) godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon May 23 18:03:35 PDT 2011

Regarding time schemes, I think Shakespeare now and again has double schemes in his plays. Othello has both a long time scheme that lasts an indefinite amounth of time, and a short times scheme that lasts part of one evening in Venice, another part of an evening (Saturday on Cyprus)  and a whole day and evening (Sunday) on Cyprus).

Why did he do this? Because it fit into his plot.

Why Durrell played with time is more problematic, though some critics have speculated as to why. I leave you to their gentle mercies.

Bill

Department of English    *           *
University of Cincinnati*   * Stellar Disorder  *
OH 45221-0069 *  *