[ilds] private kingdoms

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 11:35:55 PDT 2011

Marc,

Thanks for mentioning Plato's Parmenides.  I'd forgotten about it.  This reference or allusion opens up a couple of very interesting questions.  I confess that I haven't read this dialogue, mainly because of its great difficulty, which the narrator seems to refer to — "'What the hell is the meaning of it all, anyway?'  His father had given him the Parmenides for a birthday present" (p. 47).  That question ("What the hell . . . ") scholars have been asking for a couple of thousand years.  Secondary sources tell us that The Parmenides deals with proving and questioning Platonic forms.  But the dialogue does not come to a resolution and does not solve the problem.  Platonic forms deal with the nature of reality — that's surely what interested Durrell, a question he asks himself before he stares into the Ionian pool at the shrine of Saint Arsenius (Prospero's Cell, pp. 15-16).  So, had Durrell read The Parmenides?  Also, is the allusion meant to refer to Eastern Thought or Mysticism, which some philosophers see imbedded in Plato's philosophy?  I would answer the latter positively — that's Durrell's natural tendency.

Bruce