[ilds] private kingdoms

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 09:26:36 PDT 2011

David,

Well said.  Your question prompted me to think about post-WWII literature.  Did it have a trend, the search for peace and tranquility?  Nothing leaped out at me.  Rather just the opposite — a lot of it was shell-shocked (much of European literature), and we Americans went into one of our war-novel crazes (Jones, Mailer, Shaw).  It seems Durrell and Miller were, once again, somewhat isolated and sought isolation (in theory, anyway).  Miller heads for Big Sur, and Durrell for Rhodes and later Cyprus.

There is something scary about "The Roof of the World," although I think Durrell handles the idyll very well.  It's always reminded me of Hilton's Lost Horizon (1933).  But Hilton fails to describe Shangri-La in an appealing and convincing way — what an insufferably boring place.  Godshalk mentioned otium (peace, repose), and Gifford commented on Durrell's use of the convention — that it's not an end in itself.  Which is true.  It's worthwhile to note that The Dark Labyrinth does not end at "The Roof of the World," rather in the real world with all its problems, unresolved and mystifying, of course.

Bruce