[ilds] Myths

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:06:44 PDT 2011

On 16/05/11 3:15 AM, Marc Piel wrote:
> I would add that the Minotaur that
> was a cow is an interesting paradigme and perhaps a parody of Evans'
> theories. Perhaps this also tells us that LD had read Evans.

Henry Miller writes about Evans in /The Colossus of Maroussi/, p. 121
(published 1941).  We know that Durrell read that book, and Evans was
more than a passing reference in it.  They both discuss Knossos and
Evans in their letters as well, though my copy isn't at my desk.  Miller
wrote to Durrell of Evans during the first few years of their
correspondence, to which Durrell responded by saying he was going to
Knossos and could call on him.

I believe MacNiven mentions Durrell writing to George Wilkinson about
Knossos before moving to Greece as well.  Again, my books aren't with me
at the moment...

I checked those just after reading Gere, but it wasn't part of the
review, so I didn't make any notes on it.

My hunch would be that Gere's thesis on pacifism and the political
component of Evans' work may have a role in Durrell's post-WWII novel
(and she directly suggests this with regard to Miller's /Colossus/).
Let's not forget that Durrell published a dozen different poems, "Eight
Aspects of Melissa," "Elegy on the Closing of the French Brothels,"
/Zero and Asylum in the Snow/, "Ten Poems" (mainly drawn from the ts.
for /A Private Country/), and pursued publication of /The Black Book/
all through radically pacifist journals and presses at the same time
(and he coordinated the publication of several other poets through the
same as well).

There's more to the Durrell of the 30s and 40s than I think we've
previously considered.  That said, the trains were busy this morning, so
I'm not adequately refreshed on the novel itself!

Best,