[ilds] Forster on Durrell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon May 16 11:16:02 PDT 2011

Charles,

The source is an old friend — Classical archaeologist, art historian, and graduate of Cambridge.  I can give his name, but only after asking his permission.  As I quoted him saying, Forster eventually went "gaga," so take that for what it's worth.  Forster definitely had his problems, mainly personal, which Michael Haag describes extremely well in City of Memory.  Forster's critical acumen is another matter and not so suspect.  On the other hand, D. J. Enright was a formidable fellow — poet, novelist, teacher, critic, translator of Proust — and not easily dismissed.  I agree with you that the "Cambridge School of Literature," if such, was not receptive to Durrell's creative genius.  Any assessment of Lawrence Durrell, however, has to take in the good and the bad and account for both, preferably in one comprehensive theory.

Bruce