[ilds] Myths

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon May 16 00:19:28 PDT 2011

On 15/05/11 11:54 PM, Denise Tart & David Green wrote:
> the German use of the caves for storing explosives and the later
> instability of the caves as a result of the Germans blowing up their
> remaining munitions. It is clear from the novel that the caves were
> regarded as unsafe, so what befalls the cast has a basis in reality even
> if, in effect, the labyrinth is a metaphoric construct and the minotaur
> a useful imaginative projection of people's fear's and Larry's literary
> playfulness.

Good attention, David.  And kindred issues return in /Quinx/ nearly 40
years later.

I'm convinced and will open my copy to the last chapter on the morning's
train!  I have James Brigham's teaching notes on /The Dark Labyrinth/,
which are rather elaborate.  I'll pull those out this week too and see
what secrets Jay can contribute to the conversation.

Cheers,