[ilds] Cefalû

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun May 8 23:05:06 PDT 2011

A point worth making, David.  I remember teaching an 8 month outreach
course for the military several years ago -- 340 km driving up, teach 3
hours, hold office hours, and turn around and drive 340 km back the same
day, every week...  Canada has a lot of empty space.

My personal best is 1400 km in a day, through 1200 in a day is not
uncommon.  My wife helped a friend move 3500 km in 3 days.

In any case, I suspect Bruce's reasonable point is that Sicily and Crete
are in the Mediterranean, so the name shuffle is far more reasonable
than Crete and Tuktoyaktuk.  Notably, this isn't Durrell's first playful
shuffle with Mediterranean islands -- he has the fictional Mavrodaphne
in /Panic Spring/ as well, which is Corfu, but with some transformations
to make it just magical enough...

JG
(thinking of the nightingales)