[ilds] "urgent things in little squirts"

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun May 8 09:17:08 PDT 2011

 From the letters to Miller:

    "I have deliberately chosen a cheap novel formula and am trying to
    say urgent things in little squirts through the seven or so people
    involved.  A rotten book with some small lucid moments and one or
    two good lines."  [LD ot HM, c. October 1945]

I rather like reading epigrams, /obiter dicta/, urgent "squirts," and
"character-squeezes."   I sometimes wonder if those may be some of
Lawrence Durrell's key modes?  Part of the shift away from "novel" to
notebook?

I will be awarding a prize to the careful reader who successively
locates the "one or two good lines."

C&c.

Assistant Professor
Department of English