[ilds] Cefalû

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun May 8 07:30:46 PDT 2011

Good and interesting question.  In part, I'd say Durrell's Romantic sensibilities are at work and he likes the exotic name.  The setting, however, is Crete, and Cefalû, the town near the labyrinth, is actually on nearby Sicily.  Another possibility is that Durrell wants to fictionalize his setting — a kind of diversion from the actual.  I also see this process in his method of characterization.  I'm now working on that problem.

Bruce