[ilds] Thoughts about the Quintet from 1985

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Fri May 6 20:06:33 PDT 2011

A small amateur publishing association I have been involved with for many years, Apa-50, will soon reach its 200th mailing. This paragraph is from #68 in August, 1985:

The Durrell Quintet is right up there with his best. It seems that one is either completely captivated by the man or else finds him unreadable, but I was so happy that he didn’t cop-out about the matter of the “real” vs. “imaginary” characters. Those terms in mathematics resolve into the realm of the complex, and so did these. In the last beautiful scene, after the war, when all the characters and a congress of gypsies is all gathered on the banks of the Rhone, the Prefet, walking through the throng, notes with interest guests from variant time lines and other contingent realities: a real mind-blower just thrown out nonchalantly.

- Ken
This email may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. It is intended only for the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or
telephone and destroy all copies of the original message.